We are just 7 short days away from Mother's Day, and while I am not one for valentines or 'hallmark holidays' I do like the idea of showing Mums how much they are appreciated (as well as Dads on Fathers day). I always loved spending the day spoiling my Mum, making cards and breakfast in bed. I can't wait until Zoe is old enough to understand and participate.
I wanted to share a few Mothers Day gift ideas for anyone panic shopping this week... I have tried to focus on affordable things, as we are pretty strapped at the moment with the mounting cost of childcare etc...
1. Something Homemade - For me Mother's day isn't about big expensive gifts, its about a child appreciating their Mother. Thats why for me something homemade and heartfelt will always be the most cherished gift. Handprints, footprints, a childs artwork... All lovely and inexpensive. Or if you are not the craftiest of people (or can't deal with a 14 month old and paint without a complete meltdown) you could try something like Pottery Painting. Pots and Pancakes is a place in North Shields which offers pottery painting, as well as handprints and footprints you can treasure forever - I love this idea.
2. Mama Bracelet - This is something I have asked for, A Woody and Florence Mama Bracelet. I love how simple it is, it is inexpensive but really stylish and subtle. At only £3.95 its a nice idea for those on a budget.
3. Me-Time - It can be as simple as a solo trip to the local coffee shop, with free wifi and an endless supply of flat whites or a more indulgent spa package or trip to the hairdresser. A little time away can do wonders for the soul. I love the look of this package from The Garage Spa in Durham, its half a day so you can still have family time, but with a 25 minute treatment and 4 hours of spa access - it sounds like heaven.
4. The Mother Book Rather than another how-to guide or self-help type book, this is a series of posts/essays from various mothers. More of a show of solidarity to dip in and out of when you feel like you're alone in the crazy motherhood journey. I recommend teaming this with the next item on my list and a voucher for an hour long uninterrupted bubble bath.
5. Lush I am a huge Lush fan, nothing says relaxation for me like a long soak in a scalding hot bath filled with bubbles. My personal favourite is the Comforter Bubble Bar, which I can easily stretch to 3-4 baths. I personally wouldn't bother with the pre-made gift boxes, you always end up with a couple of things you never use. A bag full of bath bombs, bubble bars and a bottle of wine would be the perfect gift for me.
I hope this list gave you a few ideas, I'd love to hear how you guys celebrate mothers day.